Your ocean needs you. It is easy to make a difference. Join the Plastic Chain of action - see video below.
- Ask retailers for non-plastic packaging alternatives, eg starch-based meat trays that biodegrade quickly.
- Take your rubbish home with you from the beach, and don’t throw it overboard.
- Ask for reusable shopping bags or bring your own. New Zealanders used on average 250 single-use shopping bags each last year.
- Buy bottled products that don’t have a tamper-proof ring around the base of the cap. These detach after opening and can kill seabirds if they slip over their bills in the sea or on the beach.
- Avoid products that contain micro-beads. The smallest are often found in cosmetics or even toothpaste. Larger ones are used to make plastic products. Whatever the size, fish and birds mistake them for food – and choke on them.
- Avoid most plant feeding pellets, as the nutrients are impregnated into plastic, which disintegrates into the soil and water table.